A visitors guide to the sleepy Norfolk Village of Wighton set in
rural Norfolk, yet only ten minutes drive from the coast. The village
has a post office, tea shop and inn as well as an Art Gallery. The
sculpture Henry Moore had close links with this village as his sister
taught at the local school and his father is buried in the churchyard.
Moore was a regular guest at his sisters house and used to practice his
sculpture work in the school yard. For the full range of shops try
Wells-next-the-sea some three miles away.
The village has a really friendly pub The Carpenters Arms who provide a
varied menu created from locally sourced produce of the best quality, in
a friendly, family atmosphere, in a unique quirky setting.
For Holiday Accommodation in Wighton - Self Catering - Holiday Cottages
and Bed and Breakfast check
out our Wighton Holiday Accommodation Pages.
A three mile drive towards the North Norfolk Coast,
will bring you to the seaside resort of Wells-next-the-Sea.
Whilst in the area visit Little
Walsingham with its red-brick and timber framed houses, and red
pantiled roofs. It was in 1061 that Lady Richeldis the lady of the
manor had a vision in which she was commanded to build a replica of
Nazareths Holy House. She built the shrine near two wells and it was
added to by Augustinian and Franciscan monks in medieval times.
Every King from Richard I to Henry VIII came to do
homage at the shrine which was said to rival Canterbury and was famed
across Europe. Henry VIII destroyed most of it in the late 1530s when he
ordered the Dissolution of the Monsateries, but there is still much to
see. It is well worth taking one of the guided tours to make sure
you do not miss anything. Little Walsingham is still a place of
pilgrimage to this day.
The village of Binham
with its atmospheric ruins is not far away. A Benedictine religious house founded in the late
11th century by a nephew of William the Conqueror, Pierre de Valoines.
After surrendering to Henry VII, as part of the dissolution of the
monasteries in 1540, the monastic buildings were mostly pulled down,
until one of the workmen was killed, which the villagers took to be an
omen of Gods Wrath, so stopped.
It is still used as a place of worship to this
day and in the summer months services are held at the open air
alter. Its magical atmosphere and rich acoustics means that it
also plays host to a number of concerts during the summer months.